What Is Holistic Interior Design?
Traditionally, interior design is concerned primarily with aesthetics. While also taking into account functionality, its goal is to create a space that delights the eye.
Holistic interior design certainly doesn’t ignore aesthetics. But it is animated by the conviction that our spaces impact us in many ways that go beyond this single dimension. Our environment isn’t just experienced with our eyes, but also affects our bodies, our minds, and even our spirits.
Holistic interior design, then, means paying attention to the way our surroundings touch the whole person. It isn’t just about how a space looks, but about how every element of the design has the potential to help nudge those who use it towards flourishing.
Why Does Holistic Interior Design Matter?
Let’s make it more specific. Consider light. Every designer thinks about it, but often only insofar as it illuminates a space and affects the look of colors and textures.
But a holistic designer knows light also affects our bodies. Poor lighting can induce stress whereas natural light has a powerful positive effect on both health and mood. It plays a key role in our bodies’ regulation of sleep and the functioning of our immune system.
These aren’t minor matters. Research suggests our health outcomes are largely determined by things like our lifestyle, our relationships, and our mental health. The environment we surround ourselves with has a significant impact on all these areas.
When you consider that we spend, on average, about 90% of our time indoors, doesn’t it make sense to pay careful attention to how our spaces are contributing to — or detracting from — our quality of life?
The Elements of Holistic Design
So what are the ways our environment may be affecting us? In our holistic design process, we think it is important to pay careful attention to the following areas:
- Beauty: Aesthetics matter. We create spaces that are a feast for the eyes.
- Air: We make recommendations on HVAC and purifying systems to ensure good air quality, which affects respiratory health.
- Light: We ensure proper lighting that mimics natural sunlight as closely as possible to promote health and mood.
- Balance: We incorporate Feng Shui techniques to balance a space to support wellbeing and client goals.
- Energy: We clear negative energy from a space and set intentions for things like good luck, abundance and prosperity. We test for electromagnetic disturbances which can have negative effects on the nervous system.
- Color: Colors have a direct impact on our feelings. We suggest colors that fit the use of the space and support client goals.
- Nature: Bringing nature into a space has been shown to boost mood, concentration, and productivity while lowering stress, heart rate, and blood pressure. We creatively incorporate nature in a way that is on brand.
- Sociability: Healthy relationships are essential to wellbeing. We are attentive to the way the design of a space mediates the social interactions of those who use it.
- Materials: We make sure the materials we specify aren’t adding pollution to your indoor air.
- Sustainability: Being holistic means thinking about the larger impact of our designs. We prioritize sustainable materials and eco-conscious vendors.
The Benefits of Holistic Interior Design
Being intentional about all these elements through the design process yields an end result that looks great and also promotes wellness. As a client, you benefit on a number of levels:
- Your employees are more productive, experiencing fewer sick days and a sharper focus at work.
- Those who use your space experience reduced stress, better moods, and an overall improvement in health. There is a particularly notable impact in office environments, which tend to have poor lighting and sterile design while being disconnected from nature.
- Your space fosters a sense of inspiration, belonging, and safety. In retail and hospitality, this means guests stay longer and visit more often — leading to higher sales.
- You experience greater success through a more mindful approach to business practices along with energy clearing and intention setting.
- You stand out from your competitors by demonstrating your commitment to run your business in a way that cares for the wellbeing of the whole person.
- You’ll have a sense of renewed energy, lightness, inspiration, and possibility.
- You will experience improved concentration and mood along with lower stress levels as we maximize your access to natural light, air, and vegetation.
- A decluttered space will make room for new growth and opportunities entering your life.
- Our inner life is connected to our outer world. As we work on your space, you’ll get more awareness and insight into any issues you may be having in your life.
- You’ll sleep better and become sick less often.
- You’ll take an important step towards living with more intentionality and mindfulness.
- You will love being in your space again.
If you would like to have a conversation to explore how holistic design can help you get the most out of your space for everyone who uses it, we invite you to schedule a free consultation.
Start a Project
If you’d like to learn more about working with Gala Magriñá for Residential Design or Commercial Design services, you can schedule a Complimentary 30-Minute Project Discovery Call to get started. Gala will meet with you 1:1 in a virtual setting so that you can speak about your project.
Start a Consult
If you’d like to consult with Gala for help on your project, you can schedule a Complimentary 15-Minute Beyond Spaces Discovery Call. You can speak with Gala in a virtual setting and learn more about the Holistic Interior Design Process. Gala explain more about how the consult works.